Thursday, August 11, 2005

Speaking Too Soon?

I've had a major case of the grumps much of the day, which weren't helped when I realized this has gone on an entire month. *sigh* I'm enough on the edge to wonder if I'm due for another round before it ends. Seriously, I want to set the flamethrower on Extra Crispy, quit my job, that sort of thing. It feels very PMS.

Today's Real Live Preacher had a link to a very moving post with a prayer by Thomas Merton that was in a lot of ways one I needed to hear today:


THE PRAYER BY THOMAS MERTON

My Lord God,
I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself, and the fact
that I think that I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you
does in fact please you. And I hope I have
that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart
from that desire. And I know that if I do
this you will lead me by the right road
though I may seem to be lost and in the
shadow of death. I will not fear, for you
will never leave me to face my perils alone.

From Thoughts in Solitude

3 Comments:

Blogger LutheranChik said...

Charlotte: Today was my Not a Nice Person, flamethrower day;-)...situational more than organic...culminating in a cluster headache (which is kind of like aiming the flamethrower at oneself). Oh, well..."Tomorrow is another day."

August 13, 2005 8:24 PM  
Blogger Elise said...

Hi Charlotte,
This is one of my favorite poems of all time. I love Thomas Merton.

August 23, 2005 7:38 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

Hello Elise, welcome to one of my "other" blogs.

August 24, 2005 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home