Saturday, June 11, 2005

Virtual Church of the Blind Chihuahua

Via LutheranChik, I learned of the Virtual Church of the Blind Chihuahua. I love their description of their site:

This is a sacred place in cyberspace named after a little old dog with cataracts, who barked sideways at strangers, because he couldn't see where they were. We humans relate to God in the same way, making a more or less joyful noise in God's general direction, and expecting a reward for doing so. Hence our creed:

We can't be right about everything we believe.
Thank God, we don't have to be!


The description reminded me of my friend Debbie's late Tanner, a black toy poodle who was a 'special needs' dog - mostly blind (it got worse, until she had a windfall and spent it on cataract surgery for him), deaf, arthritic - when she rescued him but who trailed her around the house in obvious lurrrrrrrrrve even though he could only smell her (yipping at her occasionally, but just devoted). (She installed mini-ramps for him so he could sit on the couch. Adorable.)

The site has much interesting comment, but I keep going back at the moment for his suggested Funeral for a Dog, complete with prayers for his three. It was very useful to me as I have felt that, for one time, the Book of Common Prayer has let me down ritually/liturgically. I could modify some of the prayers in "The Burial of the Dead", and I had psalm and reading, but that wasn't feeling enough.

I am thinking some of Maya's earthly remains will go in a hole when I plant a rose on the south side, under (or close to) the living room window she loved lounging on in the sun, next to the driveway where she cheerfully twisted on her back.

2 Comments:

Blogger LutheranChik said...

That is a great website...my pastor likes it too.

I'm sorry to hear about your cat. I have a geriatric dog (a 13-year-old mostly toothless Maltese with CHF...he's on the same heart meds as older humans), and while he's still very puppylike and active, I know I'm going to have to prepare myself for his passing.

June 12, 2005 4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, thanks for the super-sweet things you said about Tanner. A year and a couple of months later, I still miss the little bugger a ton. He had such an incredible will to live! Amazed everyone. I finally said goodbye to him on August 13, last year. He was around 17 years old. Sigh.

September 14, 2005 9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home