Friday, August 19, 2005

A visit from a friend

It's been bad this week. Very, very bad. The only really good thing that came out of it was that I don't need surgery (yet, anyway) and the blood iron is getting back up there. I'm still getting a laptop, though. That's my Retail Therapy.

On Wednesday, after a long disgusting day and much to do in the evening, I finally oozed under the covers and read Compline. I curled on my side to fall asleep and there was ... a presence ... on the bed, right in front of me as she so often had been. Meatloafed and purring. Giving me the "admire" look straight in the eyes and "blinkies". I smiled (through tears in my eyes), petted and scritched her, and pretty much was lulled into sleep. When I woke up she was gone.

I had been thinking of Maya recently; because she died on the 14th of the month, and I note the 14th of the month in any case, I will probably be noting her month-minds for a bit. I have been missing her a lot in my current sad state. But I wasn't expecting the ghost cat to appear on my bed. She hasn't been there for a while (she was there a lot the first month ... I think we were both surprised at the speed of her demise). It was very comforting to "see" her. Thank you, dear friend, for stopping by.

The Queen

3 Comments:

Blogger LutheranChik said...

Ever read Bible scholar JB Philips' account of his encounter, during an extremely low time in his life, with his deceased friend C.S. Lewis? Lewis (dressed in street clothes, if I recall -- no white robe or halo;-)), sounding and acting just as he had in life, appeared to Philips and reassured his friend that everything would be all right. And it was. Your post reminded me of that.

August 20, 2005 12:52 PM  
Blogger Dan Phillips said...

Charlotte -- so glad to find your blog. Been that kind of week for all of us it seems. Terrible about Bro. Roger. Illnesses. Death in my family, etc. Hope you get to feeling better. Am going to add your blog to my reading list. All the best and thanks for reading Merton Poem.

August 20, 2005 1:17 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

Dan Phillips - Thank you ever so much for stopping by. I apologize for not sending you a link back (it's been, as you might note, a bit hairy). Please allow me to express my deepest sympathies for your recent loss, and repeat my appreciation of your moving post.

LC - I hadn't heard the story but it felt a lot like that.

August 21, 2005 3:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home