Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Quiz time!

Via Derek,, Spiffy, and I've probably seen it some other places.

Bible Knowledge Quiz

According to Derek (who really knows his Bible) it's a non-silly test, so I was happy to scrape out a 72% pass overall. I was strong on the Gospels and Epistles and weak on the Prophets and OT History. I was otherwise cruising at around 70% for the other areas. I expect by this time next year (with EFM) I will have plugged some of my knowledge holes.

I am finding my EFM class quite interesting ... we have only done three lessons involving actually reading the Bible so far, but even that (first six chapters of Genesis) has been very, very thought provoking. I was pleased as punch when I heard a reporter on the Beeb's Reporting Religion discuss the Catholic church's recent "Don't take this literally" statement with a Catholic scholar and a literalist. The reporter specifically brought up the contradictions between Gen 1 and Gen 2 and I *preened* (in a "hey I know that!" sort of way). Last night in our discussion, a classmate who was brought up in a very literalist fundy church had a light-bulb moment about the weirdnesses and inconsistencies of "the story so far" ... her idea was it was a lot of "back story", "once upon a time", for the main event (the Exodus) and that was A-Okay.

1 Comments:

Blogger LutheranChik said...

Your EFM class sounds like my LMTP classes. We get huge doses of Bible class, though...they bring in seminary OT and NT profs to lecture us for the better part of a day. We just finished the OT...next retreat, in February, we're studying the Gospel of Matthew. I love it; but some of my classmates, who haven't been exposed to serious biblical scholarship before, have their minds blown. My pastor thinks it would be a beautiful day in the neighborhood if everyone in our congregation had the benefit of going through this program.

November 08, 2005 7:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home