Sunday, October 02, 2005

All creatures of our God and King ...

Today was the annual Blessing of the Animals at the church. I decided to start Maggie off right and haul her in. I was more than a little apprehensive that she would *MROWR* during the service (in a very acoustically live space). Even the normally preternaturally mellow Maya vocalized when I tried. As it turns out, she was the only cat to be blessed today, as Poor Brigid was with St. Francis (and Maya) and Julian-cat had made herself scarce.

I don't have pictures of her because the blessing was in the church and I didn't find someone to take pix beforehand (I don't like photos during worship anyway). But she behaved in an exemplary fashion. I think a small (cat-appropriate) dose of a certain anxiety medicine helped considerably. (And a seat where she couldn't see the dogs. The side pews totally rock for this.) She curled up in her carrier and didn't climb me too much when we were in line to get blessed. She was fine with the children (all of whom wanted to pet her). She was ok when I took her out of the carrier during coffee hour and carried her around. The cat-friendly contingient of the parish admired her beauty. Rector got her cat fix, which she sorely needed.

She's been complaining at me non-stop since we got home but she was good during the service so I don't mind :D.

It's been a mixed week, some progress but more roadblocks, definitely a good bit of anxiety, and some hard thinking about some things. But I really liked seeing the dogs poking their (well behaved) noses out from the pews, and going up to the rail (I didn't subject Maggie to that) and the childrens' eyes lighting up. It's a foretaste of the Peaceable Kingdom.

It's also especially poignant to me this year after losing Maya, and Brigid (who was carried in procession during the service last year), and hearing of friends' losses, and especially all the sad stories about animals and the humans who wouldn't leave them, or who got seperated from them, in the hurricanes. I'm glad she's around.

3 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

A Berkeley Episcopalian! I have to stop my blogwandering and leave you a note.

I grew up going to St. Mark's there on Bancroft. Very fond of the place (church and town) though I have left both.

There were about three dozen things in your 100 Things list I could talk about / relate to. But I won't cuz a) I have to get back to work and b) I've always been uncomfortable about appearing in any way to be flirting, and I apologize for the raw and curious honesty and social clumsiness, but that's me. Married anyway. There's no doubt something subconscious about the discomfort.

So instead: What a delight! I'll comment on just one thing, then. I aspire to write historical fiction, and my biggest fear (next to discovering I'm not a great storyteller) is to appear I didn't do my homework.

October 03, 2005 1:21 PM  
Blogger LutheranChik said...

Charlotte: I'm trying to imagine the mayhem that would ensue if I ever took my little psycho-dog to a Blessing of the Animals...the thought is making my hair stand on end. LOL (Among other things, The Codeman hates hands moving toward him -- I think this is a residual thing from his sad past life -- so I'm quite sure he'd take a bite out of our pastor's.)

October 05, 2005 4:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for offering this great service to learn about grand toy. I have a website about grand toy which makes me very interested in what you have going here. I think I am going to start up my own blog so I can spread the news! Thanks you are offering this great service!

November 04, 2005 12:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home