Monday, September 05, 2005

The Law of Love

As Emily, LutheranChik, Susie, and Dylan have pointed out, this past Sunday's Gospel is difficult, especially coming on the heels of such an immense tragedy. (Although there is that incredible promise at the end, "For where two or three are gathered in my name, I am there among them.")

At St. Spike's, the deacon preached on the Epistle instead. The following really resonated in the light of last week:

Owe no one anything, except to love one another; for the one who loves another has fulfilled the law. The commandments, ‘You shall not commit adultery; You shall not murder; You shall not steal; You shall not covet’; and any other commandment, are summed up in this word, ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ Love does no wrong to a neighbour; therefore, love is the fulfilling of the law.

I've seen a lot of love, expressed in good wishes and practical acts of caring, collective towards the shocking number of Katrina victims and far more up close and personal, this last week or so. It's been really profound. Those of you who are in the affected areas (including all those towns that people have landed in), and did NOT have a restful LD weekend, I salute you. If there is something specific I can help out with, let me know.

I've had three days of pretty much doing doodly squat. Well, there were a couple of things I should have done, that I didn't, because I was dinking around in the kitchen and on the computer. But it's been restful, and rejuvenating. This morning, as I was puttering around the place after cooking up my NOLA-themed Paper Chef entry (YESSS! I COOKED!!!) I came up with an idea for My Personal Relief Project. Which also involves food - fund raiser chocolate truffles for the Altar Guild, proceeds to be used to buy some parish Stuff that they lost in the storm. (I have to run this by Madame la Directrice.)

So brain is definitely thinking in normal directions.

I have this week to get through. We'll see how it goes. Baby steps. But like we have heard in the news a lot lately, I think I've turned a corner. And I am thankful I had a smaller corner to turn.

2 Comments:

Blogger LutheranChik said...

You know, I don't know how many times I've read that passage from the Epistle lesson, but it struck me especially this week...I mean, it pretty much sums it all up.

Again, glad to hear you're feeling better.

September 07, 2005 3:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Christians (I'm an Episcopalian too), it's sometimes hard for us to remember that Christ taught us that the greates commandment was to love our neighbors as ourselves. This is especially difficult to live by when our lives are effected by those who do not follow that teaching themselves. It is difficult when so much of the world seems to be obsessed with greed, death, and power to live a simple life according to the teachings of Christ. It's a long road for me to be able to say and believe what I just wrote. I spent many years as a hard core atheist, though I was a Buddhist for a little while too. I think everyone could benefit from a little inward thinking time, a focus more on the spiritual side than on the outside nonsense. Isn't that the point of Christianity, to love each other? BTW: Love the blog. Came here from Dan Phillips blog.

September 09, 2005 7:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home