Friday, January 06, 2006

The Epiphany Three

Well, tonight instead of going home and sleeping (again), I will smell the sweet waft of frankincense at St. Spike's.

I have three gifts for my readers at the Epiphany:

1. I have been neglectful in promoting the existence of St. Jerome's Chapel, a Godcasting project of the talented (and charming) Micah Jackson, a spinoff of St. Jerome's Library. Micah is a gifted preacher (yes, I have heard him "live") and does sermons in written and .mp3 format for the various feasts and fasts of the kalendar. I will, however, say that his in-real-life delivery is much better (riveting, in a word). [ETA: Micah says that he's working out his recording technique for the podcasts.]

2. A pal from EFM tipped us off to the existence of the TV special version (on PBS) of Bruce Feiler's Walking the Bible. Ok, so the first one is done, but you can catch the next two. (Sorry, I went home sick that day and slept, only to wake up when the show was on.)

3. I love the Orthodox concept of Theophany ... it's all Epiphany and the Baptism of our Lord rolled into one. Bits from the litany, via an educated poster on the Ship of Fools:

Today the time of the feast is at hand
Today the grace of the Holy Spirit descends
Today the Sun fills the world with splendor
Today the clouds drop down
Today the Prophet and Forerunner approaches
Today the Jordan is transformed for healing
Today the whole creation is watered by mystical streams
Today transgressions are washed away
Today Paradise is opened
Today the bitter water is changed to sweetness
Today the whole creation shines with light

There are apparently 25 "Todays" so I'm looking for the rest. But I just had to share.

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Thanks for the gifts!

January 06, 2006 10:29 AM  
Blogger LutheranChik said...

Ooh, what great gifts!

I saw episode 1 of "Walking the Bible" -- very interesting. It's also interesting to me that archaeologists seem to be more open-minded regarding the historicity, to varying degrees, of ancient stories than some theologians. I think it's the scientific mindset -- starting with the data collection and going forward instead of starting with a proposition and going backward.

I was thinking in an Eastward direction on my blog too...an Orthodox triparion.

January 06, 2006 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home