Sunday, January 01, 2006

New Year's Day

All is quiet on New Year's Day
A world in white gets underway ...
(U2, New Year's Day)

I was on call Christmas weekend. Got called twice on the Day (once in my sleep) and spent most of the day of the 26th in the office. Needless to say I have been discombobulated about the special days after Christmas, although LC and bls have been holding up the side. The mega-stress of the previous week had lifted somewhat but I was still working 7-6, dark to dark.

I almost bagged on my friend B's New Year's Eve day open house in SF (starts at 1, so one can get well home before amateur hour starts in earnest) because I was feeling sorta blah and the weather has been beyond foul, but we got a break between the storms on Saturday afternoon so I decanted myself onto BART and went over. That was nice because it's a big part of what my friend Adam calls Middle-Christmas.

This year I did not have to haul myself over the Bay Bridge to go to church at the Cathedral on New Year's, which was great considering the weather and my general decrepitude.

I almost feel like a human being again after a day of puttering around the house, including lots of cuddles with Maggie-cat and making some lemon curd. And I look forward to having another day to putter tomorrow.

At the grocery yesterday, I happened to be wandering through the kosher section, and remembered something I'd read recently on Velveteen Rabbi. I bought two yahrzeit candles for my grandmothers, one who died on 12/25 and was buried on 12/30, and the other who died on 12/30. I've been burning the candles when I've been at home. Tonight I hope also to catch up with something I had planned for the 26th, which is to listen to Mozart's Requiem in honor of the tsunami victims (and, at this point, my grandmothers).

In a lot of ways I'm not unhappy to see the back of 2005. Much that is good happened before Things Fell Apart, some has managed to happen since, and I hope to get it back and hold onto it in '06.

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Blessings on this new year, Charlotte.

January 01, 2006 7:17 PM  
Blogger LutheranChik said...

You're not getting washed away, are you, Charlotte? The news reports from CA looked pretty alarming.

Here's to a day doing nothing. I had just such a day today. Actually, I made pot roast. But I didn't have to.;-) Calloo-callay! But back to the salt mines tomorrow.

All the best in the new year to you, Charlotte!

January 02, 2006 4:11 PM  
Blogger Kathryn said...

TeenWonder phoned his sister, who had been partying a couple of hundred miles away, in order to play U2 to her on New Year's morning...so it made me smile to read that start to your post.
Love and prayers for a happy, stress free 2006, Charlotte

January 03, 2006 2:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home