Monday, January 16, 2006

When Israel out of Egypt came ...

Reading Exodus during MLK Birthday weekend has been a profound experience. I have heard the stories before, both the ancient ones and the more modern ones, but hearing them together was deeply, deeply moving. The ancient times, the desert wanderings, are integrated seamlessly with the things that happened in my childhood (or just before). Ancient history, living memory.

Micah notes that on the kalendar of saints, we observe their death days, not their birth days (another example of the church and the world being topsy-turvy), so MLK Jr's day on the kalendar is April 4 but Jen from the LJ Lectionary group brought out the readings "out of season".

At St. Spike's, the final hymn was "Lift Every Voice and Sing". I was standing in the back waiting to catch the vestments post procession, so I had the full benefit of an excellent trained choir backing up my own most enthusiastic singing. (Had no idea that was in the regular hymnbook!) It was wonderful, and I hear it in my mind's ear still. (That, and "Pride (In The Name of Love)".)

2 Comments:

Blogger sozzled said...

ok perhaps in translation this will loss something, but I have just got to say, "holy crap it is a small world!" I stumbled across your food blog via Milton & reallivepreacher (who I have been reading for ages....) I was sweety surprised to see Hattie's goat cheese torta recipe, one I use often, without remembering where I got it. Then to see the link to Barb's orgasmic brownies was a flash fr the past as well. I met Barb at a couple of rfc meet & eats years ago, she gave me a LeCruest pan I love to death. I followed your link to this blog and imagine my surprise when I see mention of Micah. A co-godparent, to a family that we are both dear friends of. Will the small world coincidence ever end? I am so thankful I stumbled across you!

January 21, 2006 9:06 PM  
Blogger Charlotte said...

Whoa, RFC *and* Micah? Seester!

*cue the Twilight Zone music*

I haven't actually met Barb but I did meet Susan Hattie.

January 22, 2006 3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home